Aspen Avionics’ Evolution E5 Electronic Flight Instrument (EFI) Receives Supplemental Type Certificate
Introduced in April 2018 at the Aircraft Electronics Association (AEA) annual convention, the STC’d, non-TSO Evolution E5 consolidates attitude indicator plus DG/CDI into a single display with a rechargeable backup battery. It also includes Global Positioning System Steering (GPSS), air data computer, and attitude heading reference system (ADAHRS) starting at $4,995. “The interest in the E5 has been overwhelming and we have a significant order backlog. We expect to be shipping the E5 as soon as we receive the Parts Manufacturer Approval (PMA) which is expected very soon,” said Mark Ferrari, Aspen vice president of sales and customer support.
Like all Aspen displays, the Evolution E5 EFI is configurable, upgradeable, and affordable. The E5 can also be upgraded to the brand new EFD1000 Pro MAX series primary flight display through an affordable upgrade path which comes with a new two-year warranty. Unlike other standalone systems, Aspen’s versatile design and open architecture allow features to be easily configured to specific flight needs with the opportunity to add additional options and capability without unit replacement.
With redesigned electronics and new glass, the Evolution E5 has a bolder and brighter display and offers higher reliability, more capability and increased processing speed all while retaining Aspen’s unique form factor design that keeps installation costs down. Designed as a drop-in non-TSO replacement for traditional mechanical vacuum instruments, the Evolution E5 also interfaces with most legacy autopilots and will also interface to the new TruTrak Vizion autopilot.
- Backup attitude indicator not required
- Rechargeable backup battery
- IFR certified with glide slope and localizer display
- Single unit installation – consolidates traditional attitude indicator and directional gyro/course deviation indicator into a single display
- Provides a path for removal of vacuum systems
- Interfaces with most industry autopilots and provides GPSS roll steering
- Non-TSO STC approval
- Affordable Evolution E5 to TSO-approved Evolution 1000 Pro PFD upgrade
- Large, 6.0" diagonal, 400 x 760 pixel TFT Active Matrix LCD screen with bolder and brighter resolution
- Works with existing avionics
- Patented, unique form-fit design slides easily into existing panel cutouts