Doppler-capable, Fully Stabilized Color Weather Radar
- All-digital Garmin radar features high-definition color palette with up to 4 times more colors than traditional radars for more detailed contouring of storm cells
- Combines full antenna stabilization1 with horizontal scan angles up to 120 degrees
- Optional Doppler-enabled turbulence detection and ground clutter suppression enable more precise weather interpretation
- Ground mapping mode provides a real-time depiction of geographical features to aid in visual navigation
- Fits a variety of aircraft radomes with 10" or 12" antenna sizes
- Displaying more color intervals than traditional four-color radars, the Doppler-enabled GWX 75 radar helps take the guesswork out of real-time weather tracking and analysis.
- The additional colors provide a far more nuanced interpretation of storm cell dynamics. Plus, this high-definition target contouring combines with exceptional range and adjustable scanning profiles — both horizontal and vertical — to allow you to more accurately assess a storm threat via your compatible flight deck or multifunction display.
Scan with Doppler Accuracy
The fully stabilized GWX 75 offers horizontal scan angles up to 120 degrees to locate and evaluate convective weather activity. The radar’s vertical scanning mode aids in analyzing storm tops, gradients and cell buildups at various altitudes. In addition, our Weather Attenuated Color Highlight (WATCH®) technology helps identify the shadowing effects of short-range cell activity — highlighting areas where radar signals are weakened, or attenuated, by intense precipitation (or large areas of lesser precipitation) and may not fully reflect the “storm behind the storm.” With these capabilities, the GWX 75 radar makes it easier to scan large geographic areas and make sound weather-related decisions. Plus, a handy ground mapping mode lets you use GWX 75 to scan terrain features for visual navigation.
Less Clutter, More Clarity
To enhance the capabilities of GWX 75, available options include turbulence detection and ground clutter suppression. With ground clutter suppression, the GWX 75 radar provides a more consistent, more accurate view of weather at all altitudes and all ranges by identifying areas of ground and surface features. The result is a cleaner, clearer image that lets you focus on real weather. Likewise, optional turbulence detection technology can be used to determine areas of rough air — so you can make tactical routing decisions that avoid flying into hazardous conditions.
Count on Solid-state Reliability
With its digital design, the GWX 75 system offers reduced power consumption and extended service life, as compared to previous generations of magnetron-based radars. While magnetron tubes degrade or burn out over time, the solid-state technology in GWX 75 maintains a consistent weather picture over its entire life cycle — all while using only 40 W of transmission power. The weight-saving, all-in-one antenna/receiver/transmitter unit is available with 10” or 12” phased array antenna plates, so GWX 75 onboard radar capability can be adapted to a variety of aircraft radome configurations.
1 Antenna stabilization requires AHRS or gyro interface and is subject to mechanical limits of the radar.
- Operating Temperature Range: -55°C to +70°C.
- Humidity: 95% non-condensing
- Altitude Range: -1,500 ft to 55,000 ft
- Input Voltage: 14/28 Vdc
- Input Current: 2.5 A @ 28v, maximum
- TSO Compliance: C63e, Class C
- Environmental Compliance: RTCA/DO-160F
- Width: 11.7 in (29.7 cm) max. diameter at base
- Antenna: 10-Inch or 12-Inch in diameter flat plate
- Depth (with antenna): 7.1 in (180 cm)
- Weight (unit with 10-Inch Antenna): 9.9 lb (4.52 kg)
- Weight (unit with 12-Inch Antenna): 10.1 lb (4.59 kg)
- Display Colors: 4 Colors or Enhanced Color Palette
- Selectable Ranges: 2.5, 5, 10, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 160, 200, 240, and 320nm
- Weather Avoidance Range (10-Inch Antenna): 285 nm max
- Weather Avoidance Range (12-Inch Antenna): 320 nm max
- Performance Index (10-Inch Antenna): 218 dB
- Performance Index (12-Inch Antenna): 221 dB
- Tx Frequency: 9300 MHz to 9500 MHz
- Rx Sensitivity: -130 dBm MDS
- Manual Gain: +12dB to -28dB
- Antenna Beamwidth (10-Inch Antenna): 8.9 degrees
- Antenna Beamwidth (12-Inch Antenna): 7.8 degrees
- Peak Power: 40 W nominal, 36 W minimum
- Horizontal Scan Angle: 20, 40, 60, 90, or 120 degrees (Pilot adjustable)
- Vertical Scan Angle: 60 degrees
- Scan Centerline: Pilot adjustable
- Horizontal Scan Rate: 12 looks/minute
- Vertical Scan Rate: 24 looks/minute
- Manual Tilt: +/- 15 degrees
- Sensitivity Timing Control (STC): At all ranges
Configuration module sold separately.