Glass Upgrade for DG/HSI and Attitude Instruments in GA Aircraft
- Replaces traditional electromechanical instruments; can be configured in attitude, DG/HI/HSI and turn coordinator positions
- Bright, sunlight-readable 3.5” LCD color display, sized to fit standard 3-1/8” instrument cutout
- Certified via approved model list (AML) for STC’d installation on more than 560 aircraft makes and models
- Includes a 4-hour backup battery with battery status indicator
- Dual G5 installation offers reversionary display capability plus the added redundancy of dual ADAHRS and dual backup batteries
The G5 electronic flight instrument delivers exceptional performance, reliability and ease of installation as a drop-in replacement for primary attitude and/or directional gyros in type-certificated fixed-wing aircraft. Providing an economical upgrade path via a comprehensive approved model list (AML), the compact and cost-effective G5 is bringing modern “glass cockpit” reference to thousands of aircraft that would otherwise depend on older, vacuum-driven equipment.
Affordable Glass Solution
Designed for installation in FAR Part 23 Class 1 and Class 2 aircraft (singles and twins weighing less than 6,000 lbs), the 3.5” G5 display fits into a standard 3-1/8” round cutout, taking up just a fraction of the space and weight previously required by conventional gyro-based instruments. It’s valid for flight under VFR and IFR conditions. And, by combining visual cues and data readouts once scattered across a myriad of instruments, G5 makes flight information easier to scan — so pilots can respond more quickly and intuitively to any inflight situation.
Rock-solid Attitude Reference
When configured as a primary attitude indicator, G5 uses solid-state AHRS reference to provide smooth, steady and reliable horizon-based pitch and roll indications. In addition to aircraft attitude, G5 will also support display of airspeed, altitude, vertical speed, slip/skid, turn rate, configurable V-speed references, barometric setting and selected altitude — as well as visual alerts upon arriving at a preselected altitude. A built-in GPS receiver provides highly accurate groundspeed and ground track readouts. Plus, a dedicated rotary knob on the unit allows for easy adjustments to altitude bugs and barometric pressure settings.
Gain A Clearer Sense of Direction
To provide even more situational awareness, G5 is also approved for installation as a replacement heading indicator/directional gyro (HI or DG) or horizontal situation indicator (HSI) in your panel. When paired with an affordable GMU 11 magnetometer, GAD 29 navigation data interface and select VHF Nav/Comms or GPS navigators, G5 can serve as your primary reference source for magnetic heading, VOR/LOC guidance and/or GPS course guidance — as well as providing distance and groundspeed indications. The unit displays both vertical and lateral GPS/VOR/LOC course deviation when available. And you can use the G5 instrument’s rotary knob to easily make and adjust course selections — or to control heading bug settings in DG installations. For added system integration, a single magnetometer can supply heading information to 2 G5 units simultaneously.
Dual Displays Double Your Options
By installing dual G5 displays in your panel, you not only gain dedicated instruments for attitude reference and directional gyro/HSI guidance, but you also gain the advantages of backup redundancy with dual ADAHRS and reversionary display capability. In such installations, a secondary G5 can revert to display attitude information (consolidated with heading indication) in the unlikely event of a failure in the primary attitude indicator position. For added “get home” protection, each G5 display is available with a backup lithium-ion battery, which can provide up to 4 hours of emergency operation in case of an aircraft electrical outage or shutdown.
Learn More About G5
With supplemental type certification (STC) provided under an AML covering hundreds of certificated GA aircraft models, a G5 upgrade for your cockpit offers maximum capability and value for minimal downtime, paperwork and expense. You can select from an array of approved installation configurations incorporating single or dual G5 displays. And no matter which installation you choose, you’ll be flying with the peace of mind that comes with our industry-leading Garmin warranty backed by our No. 1-ranked product support team.
- Electrical: 14 or 28 VDC aircraft power
- Unit size: 3.4"W x 3.6"H x 3.0"D (86.4 x 91.4 x 76.2 mm)
- Weight: 13.3 oz (377.0 g), unit
- Display size: 3.5" diagonal (88.9 mm diagonal)
- Display resolution: 320 x 240 pixels (QVGA), LED backlit color LCD
- Receiver: High-sensitivity GPS
- Maximum indicated airspeed: 300 kts
- Altitude range: -1,400 – +30,000 feet
- Vertical speed range: ± 20,000 feet/minute
- Pitch/roll range: ±360°
- Backup battery: Rechargeable lithium-ion
- Battery life: Up to 4 hours
- G5 Electronic Flight Instrument w/Install Kit
- Backup Battery
- GMU 11 Magnetometer w/Install Kit
- G5 adapter plates (2)
- STC Permission Letter Redemption Card
- Lightning Protection Module (LPM)
HSI w/GPS Nav Interface adds the following:
- GAD 29B Compact GPS/Navigation Interface Adapter w/Autopilot Interface
- GAD 29 install kit