The FP-5 and FP-5L offer state of the art fuel management and safety features not found on other fuel flow instruments on the market. Managing fuel is a critical function in an aircraft--and the FP-5 and FP-5L do this better than any other gauge on the market.
The FP-5 and FP-5L have all the same features except the FP-5L can interface with King, Trimble, II Morrow, ARNAV or other similar Loran/GPS instruments. This allows the FP-5L to calculate and display Fuel to Destination and Fuel Reserve (fuel remaining after you reach your destination). Also, the FP-5L will warn you if there is not enough fuel on board to reach your destination.
Two primary features of the FP-5 are a Pilot Programmable Low Fuel Alert and a Pilot Programmable Low Time to Empty Alert. These alerts catch your attention by blinking the Low Fuel LED (which will turn off when acknowledged by pushing any button or switch). These alerts can be set at any time from the front panel of the FP-5. By setting these alerts, the FP-5 becomes a Fuel Managing Co-Pilot, alerting you when it is time to check your fuel levels, switch tanks, check your flight plan or perform any other function you deem necessary.
Forgetting to check fuel level is not uncommon. If your fuel flow gauge or loran is only warning you after you have used all but the last few gallons of fuel, it’s not managing your fuel. With the FP-5's pilot programmable alerts and displayed functions, managing your fuel is much easier and something you will not forget.
Another primary feature of the FP-5 is a Pilot Programmable Low Fuel Warning. This warning catches your attention by blinking the Low Fuel LED which will turn solid red when acknowledged by pushing any button or switch. This warning is an emergency warning, similar to those on other fuel flow instruments, but it is pilot programmable from the front panel at any time. This programmability allows you to set the limit to your specifications according to your aircraft and your desired safety margin (not a fixed limit chosen by a loran or fuel flow manufacturer).
To further manage your fuel and provide safety the FP-5 displays fuel pressure in .2 PSI increments to 100 PSI. In addition it offers one Pilot Programmable Low Fuel Pressure Warning and one Pilot Programmable High Fuel Pressure Warning. These warnings catch your attention by blinking the High/Low Pressure LED. These warnings are emergency warnings and can be instrumental in early problem detection.
Example: If you develop a fuel leak (common with old fuel lines, sector pumps and carburetors) the fuel pressure will drop but will not go to 0 PSI. The engine will continue to run at idle or low RPM. On take-off there will not be enough fuel to keep the engine running or it will run very lean causing extensive damage to the cylinders. The FP-5 can detect this problem easily and alert you before take-off. This is done by programming the Low Fuel Pressure Warning to a level just below the normal operating level for your aircraft.
- Fuel Flow may be programmed to display in gallons, pounds, liters or British gallons. Two programmable filters and update time insures a quick and stable response.
- Displays Horsepower to 1%
- Displays Fuel Remaining in the tanks to 1/10 gallon
- The FP-5 and FP-5L can automatically calibrate the K factor each time you add fuel
- The "Fuel Used for the Flight" is automatically reset in the FP-5 or FP-5L at the beginning of each flight, so you’ll always know how much fuel has been used since the last takeoff. "Fuel Used Since Fill Up" is automatically reset only when fuel is added to the tanks.
- The FP-5 and FP-5L can be set to scan through the various displays at a programmed rate
- The first Low Fuel Alarm reminds you when your fuel level has reached a programmed point. The second Low Fuel Alarm warns you when you’ve reach a programmed critically low fuel level.
- If set to 10 gallons, the FP-5 and FP-5L will alert you as each 10 gallons of fuel are used.
- Calculates the time remaining before you run out of fuel, another extremely useful feature.
- The Auxiliary Channel can be used to monitor EGT, TIT, CHT, OAT, Carb Temp, Oil Temp, Cowl Temp, Fuel Pressure, Gyro Vacuum, Manifold Pressure, Bus Voltage, or Amps. The Auxiliary Channel provides programmable High and Low Limit Alarms
- Provides an external warning line, which is activated by any programmed alarm
2.5" x 2.5" x 3.65" Depth, 2.25" Bezel
Instrument Only: 11 oz.
Flow Transducer Only: 6 oz.
Meets TSO C44a/C47
7.5 to 35 volts, 1/10 Amp.
Independent control lines allow pilots to adjust the intensity of both the Green Indicator Lights and the LCD Backlight during instrument operations.
Red Low Fuel Warning LED
This LED will blink any time the programmed First or Second Low Fuel Limit, Time to Empty Limit or Reocurring Alarm is reached. When displayed, the red LED is always at full intensity and will flash during instrument power-up.
- Flow Transducer (Specify when ordering)
- Wire Harness
- Installation and Operating Instructions