Icom's A220 panel mount transceiver is a popular fit with experimental and light sport pilots. The TSO approved version will work for all certified part 23 aircraft. This ground to air transceiver has the capability to work on both 8.33 kHz and 25 kHz channel spacing frequencies. It features the brightest OLED display on the market offering many advantages in brightness, vividness, high contrast, wide viewing angle and response time compared to a conventional display. The A220 also features a built in 2 station intercom, 12 or 24 volt compatible, automatic squelch and GPS memory function.
FAA TSO certification
The A220 TSO version meets RTCA-160G requirements for use in strict environments. This A220 version can be used for a primary VHF radio in general aviation (part 23) class aircraft. The A220 TSO version is also accepted for ETSO approval under the TSO/ETSO reciprocal acceptance policy.
White OLED Display and White Key Backlight
The IC-A220 has a bright organic light emitting diode (OLED) display with a very wide 170 degree viewing angle. White characters on a black background show clear easy to read operating information. With white key backlighting, the white OLED display matches modern plane’s instrument panel. In addition, the auto dimmer function adjusts the display for optimum brightness at day or night.
Easy Channel Selection
It’s fast and easy to select any of memory channels in the IC-A220. The “flip-flop” arrow button switches between main and stand-by channels. The dualwatch function allows you to monitor two channels simultaneously. In addition, the auto stack memory stores the last 20 channels used and allows you to recall those channels easily.
Automatic Squelch Function
The new automatic squelch function detects the signal level and automatically adjusts the squelch level to maintain a received call. The manual squelch function allows you to instantly adjust the squelch level. The squelch test function manually opens the squelch for testing.
12V/24V DC Power Source
The built-in DC-DC converter accepts a 12/24V DC power source. The IC-A220 is easily installed in most air planes or vehicles.
The IC-A220 has a built-in voice activated intercom function allowing the pilot to talk with the copilot via the headset. The IC-A220 has adjustable audio level and squelch control functions.
GPS Memory Function
When connected to an external GPS receiver* equipped with an airport frequency database, the frequency data such as nearby airports can be transferred and made available in the IC-A220.
- 20 regular memory channels with a 6-character channel name
- 50 group memory channels (10 Ch × 5 groups) with a channel tag
- Automatic weather channel scanning and receive (USA version only)
- Dualwatch and priority watch functions
- One touch access to 121.5 MHz emergency frequency
- Side tone function for monitoring your voice with headset
- ANL (Automatic noise limiter) function reduces pulse type noise
- Remote control capability
- PC programming capability
- Dial lock and panel lock Time-out-timer
- Slim 34mm (1.34 inch) height can be installed in a limited panel space
- D-Sub 25-pin industry standard connector for easy installation
- Two types of menu mode; settings menu and configuration menu
- Frequency coverage (Tx/Rx): 8.33kHz spacing - 118.000–136.992MHz ; 25kHz spacing - 118.000–136.975MHz
- Frequency coverage (Rx): Weather channel - 161.650–163.275MHz* (* USA version)
- Frequency spacing: 8.33kHz/25kHz
- Mode: AM (6K00A3E, 5K60A3E)
- Frequency stability: ±5ppm
- Operating temperature: –20˚C to +55˚C
- Antenna impedance: 50Ω
- Number of memory channels: 20 regular, 50 group, 10 GPS, 10 weather*, 20 auto stack memory (* USA version only.)
- Power supply requirement 13.8V/27.5V DC (Negative ground)
- Dimensions (projections not included): 6.3"W × 1.34"H × 10.67"D (160 × 34 × 271 mm)
- Weight (approximately) 1.0kg; 2.2lb
- Output power: 8W (Carrier power)
- Spurious emission: –60dBc
- Modulation limiting: 70% (Maximum 98%)
- Microphone impedance: 600Ω
Certification (TSO'd model only)
- Mounting bracket kit